Joel formerly sat as an Adjudicator on The FA’s CFA Disciplinary Panel (now the National Serious Case Panel) and worked in The FA Regulatory Advocates department. He is a sports law purist in that he is frequently instructed in regulatory disputes and sports arbitrations. This includes disciplinary proceedings (such doping offences, discrimination, on and off-field misconduct, adult and child safeguarding, breach of coaching standards), licensing, registration and participant contracts. Joel has also been instructed and advised on commercial and employment matters in which sport forms the vital backdrop.
Joel is currently appointed to the Sport Resolutions Pro Bono Panel and a member of the Sport Resolutions Safeguarding Case Management Programme Legal Advice Service. Joel has also sat as the legal member of the England Athletics Selection Appeals Panel ahead of the 2022 British Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
Although many of Joel’s cases are confidential (largely due to the nature of arbitration), the following case details are noteworthy:
Registration and Contract
- England Athletics Selection Appeal Panel 2022 – Legal panellist.
- EFL League Arbitration Panel – Led in a dispute over player registration allegedly affecting activity within the transfer window.
- EFL Player Related Disputes Commission Arbitration – Acted for a prominent academy footballer in a dispute over whether compensation was payable on leaving the club. The arbitration involved complex issues over the interpretation of contracts, industry standards and costs.
- The FA v Sutton United (2016) – Breach of rule E1(b) for fielding a transferred player before the transfer was authorised by the FA per rule C1(g)(x).
Disciplinary, Safeguarding and Doping
- UK Athletics Appeal Panel – Sole counsel representing a coach in an arbitration appeal.
- National Safeguarding Panel Arbitration – Part led in prosecution of an athlete for use of cannabis, supplying to a child and posting photos/videos of a child on Snapchat.
- Doping Proceedings – Advising and making written representations for a participant in a pre-action correspondence where breach of UK Anti-Doping Rules is alleged.
- The FA Disciplinary Commission – Acting for The FA in prosecuting a player for off-field misconduct under rule E3(2).
- The FA Disciplinary Commission – Acting for The FA and making representations on sanction of a player following admission of a rule E3(1) offence.
- Amateur Swimming Association Appeal – Represented a coach at an appeal against sanctions in disciplinary and safeguarding case.
- The FA v Nathan Abbey – Represented The FA in prosecution of discriminatory comments posted by an Arlesey Town FC manager on Twitter.
Law in Sport
- Commercial dispute – Advised five-a-side tournament service in a commercial dispute with a pitch provider. The dispute involved consideration of the small-sided football regulations.
- Shareholder dispute – Advised on a shareholder matter involving a specialist and prestigious sports equipment provider.
- Rapid Retail v Sheffield Wednesday – Acted successfully in defending football club against a vendor contractual claim.
- Marketing consultancy dispute – Advised and provided representations for Marketing consultancy against a football club.
- Sponsorship agreement – Instructed to advise on a club kit sponsorship and supply agreement.