James’ commercial expertise includes contractual disputes, directors duties, civil fraud, partnership, shareholder rights, soft IP, confidential information and database rights, copyright and passing off, unjust enrichment, the sale and supply of goods and services, conflict of laws (including anti-suit injunctions), insolvency and employment agency contracts.
Recent instructions include:
- Acting for claimants following fraud and misrepresentation in relation to an investment in their business.
- Advising foreign nationals on claims in conspiracy brought in the UK arising from business dealings in a gulf state.
- Acting in a two-week trial in a claim for passing off.
- Acting for the claimant in the High Court to obtain repayment of a substantial loan.
- Advising on copyright as to the content of a website.
- Acting and advising in a number of agency disputes.
In insolvency related matters James’s recent work has included:
- Advising on breach of fiduciary duties and rights to IP following an insolvency.
- Acting for and advising parties to TUPE transfers from insolvent transferors on numerous issues.
- Advising a potentially defrauded creditor on actions against a phoenix company.
- Advising an administrator on a distribution whilst there remained unresolved issues surrounding leases.
James’ practice regularly involves international disputes and foreign jurisdictions. He has rights of audience before the DIFC Courts in Dubai, where he has undertaken full trials at first instance and appeals before the DIFC Court of Appeal.